Tuesday, August 27, 2013

RedHat Linux KVM Virtual Machine in a Linux VM in Oracle Virtualbox inside Windows XP -Whew!

That sounds as confusing as it is.
I am working through a guide to becoming certified on Redhat Enterprise Linux RCSA. To do this I need practise installing RHEL. Since I dont have several 64 bit systems I needed to find a way to do this with a single Windows XP laptop.
To create a lab environment I installed a current version of Oracle VM Virtualbox on my 32bit version of Windows XP. (My laptop is a 64 bit Core i7- XP is required by my employer.)
 Withing this environment I can create a (64bit) Virtual machine and install Redhat Linux (RHEL) no problem.
Then I get to the chapter on using  RHEL to create virtual machines. I thought this should be interesting VM's nested inside VM's

So heres how it looks. Windows XP > Start Oracle Virtualbox > Start RHEL VM.> Start KVM virt-manager > Create and Boot another RHEL instance.
Seems to be working ok. Ill let you know if there are any complications.. Should be interesting when I get to the network setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment